Tomorrow is my 22nd birthday and I’m going out tonight to the bar with about 20 friends and getting completely hammered. It’s probably the last time I’ll see many of them as school is done and I’ll be leaving the country pretty soon. Maybe it’s because graduating is making me feel like I’m turning a new chapter, but I’ve been thinking a lot this week about where I want to be in a few years. What do I want to have done by the time I turn 25? So, I decided to make a list:
Visit 20 countries. COMPLETED June 15, 2012 – Canada, U.S., Chile, UK, Ireland, Sweden, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Morocco,
2) Spend Oktoberfest in Munich.
Travel alone through a country where I don’t speak the language.COMPLETED June 15, 2012 – 8 days travelling alone in Croatia
Go on a backpacking trip of at least 3 weeks long. COMPLETED July 6, 2012
5) Visit every part of the United Kingdom I’ve been to Scotland and England
6) Go to Prague. COMPLETED Aug. 31, 2011
7) Drive a car on the left side of the road.
8) Become fluent in Spanish. UPDATED November 8, 2013. I am taking Spanish lessons while travelling to Guatemala. I am comfortable now with basic conversations and can understand most of what people are saying to me. I feel confident walking around by myself.
9) Go to the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh
10) Write a short story
11) Run a half marathon
12) Drive across Canada
13) Go to a Manchester United Game at Old Trafford
14) Ride in a gondola in Venice
15) Spend News Year’s Eve in Edinburgh for Hogmanay
16) Participate in either the running of the bulls in Pamplona or La Tomatina in Bunyol
17) Spend St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin
18) See Stonehenge COMPLETED Oct. 16, 2011
19) Go scuba diving (preferably in Croatia)
20) Volunteer abroad COMPLETED Nov. 8, 2013
21) Read all the books on the Observer’s list of 100 greatest novels – I’m at 14 currently.
22) Go whale watching UPDATE attempted June 22, 2013, but we didn’t see any whales.
23) Go surfing COMPLETED Nov. 20, 2013
24) Visit a music festival
25) Get a paying-job in TV. COMPLETED Aug. 1, 2012